Action Needed – Oppose HB2213 -PLEASE CALL TODAY!
Monday, January 30th, 2017
There are several very disturbing bills pending at the General Assembly that would limit/cut TANF and SNAP (food stamps) benefits.
The good news is VPLC has already killed several SNAP bills that would have prohibited waivers of SNAP work requirements in areas of high unemployment/few jobs.
The bad news is we are still facing TANF drug screening/testing, photos on SNAP EBT cards, and our BIGGEST concern at the moment is HB 2213 (O’Bannon) which would slash the TANF-VIEW time limits from a lifetime limit of 60 months, to a lifetime limit of only 24 months.
Instead of the current 24 months allowed for consecutive benefits, the bill would limit consecutive months to only 12 months. The bill and impact statement can be viewed here.
HB2213 is very harmful to our clients who must participate in the VIEW work program. It undermines opportunities to gain work skills/training and cuts cash assistance that (while meager) is essential to these families.
The bill has already been approved by a subcommittee and will be heard by the full Health Welfare and Institutions Committee tomorrow – January 31st. If any of the following delegates represent you, PLEASE call their office today to OPPOSE HB 2213.
- Bobby Orrock – Caroline, Spotsylvania – 804-698 1054 [email protected]
- John O’Bannon – Henrico – 804-698 1073 [email protected]
- Robert Bell – Greene, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Rockingham – 804 698 1058 [email protected]
- Chris Peace – New Kent, Hanover, King William – 804-698 1097 [email protected]
- Brenda Pogge – James City, York 804-698 1096 [email protected]
- Dickie Bell –Highland, Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta, Nelson – 804-698 1020 [email protected]
- Scott Garrett – Amherst, Bedford, Lynchburg 804 698 1023 [email protected]
- Chris Stolle – Norfolk, Va. Beach – 804-698 1083 [email protected]
- Roxann Robinson – Chesterfield – 804 698 1027 [email protected]
- Gordon Helsel – Poquoson, York, Hampton 804-698 1091 [email protected]
- Joseph Yost – Giles, Radford, Montgomery, Pulaski 804-698 1012 [email protected]
- Keith Hodges – Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, Mathews, Middlesex 804 698 1098 [email protected]
- James Edmunds- Charlotte, Halifax, Prince Edward, Campbell 804-698 1060 [email protected]
- Chris Head – Botetourt, Roanoke County, Roanoke City 804-698 1017 [email protected]
- Peter Farrell – Louisa, Goochland, Henrico, Spotsylvania 804 698 1056 [email protected]
Here is the fact sheet for your reference. Thanks in advance for your advocacy on behalf of our lower-income neighbors.